The Congregational Economic Evaluation can help you identify which best practices you already do and which ones you could work on implementing. The survey draws on research by the Lake Institute at Indiana University.
Many people wonder about the effect of inflation on church budgets (and personal budgets too). In this resource, Andrew Warner reflects on crucial questions to ask as you plan a budget. Learn more here
The financial secretary of a congregation provides a crucial role in thanking donors for their pledges and gifts. Read how Paul Karch approaches his volunteer role at First Congregational UCC in Madison. Read the article here.
Orientation Sessions for New Congregational Leaders were held in January 2020. You can view the webinars on demand!
WEBINAR: Treasurers and Financial Secretaries
This webinar reviews basic aspects of the treasurer and financial secretary roles. We discuss creating a “financial dashboard” to help fellow board members understand the finances of the congregation. And we talk about effective ways to record and thank donors for their gifts. View video
– Sample Conflicts of Interest Policy Statement
– Kandy’s plan for accounting list
– Webinar slides
– Example of a financial dashboard as a one page handout to board members
– Example of the spreadsheet to create the dashboard graphics
– National Study on Congregational Economic Practices
WEBINAR: Stewardship Chair and Team
This webinar introduces the concept of a 12-month stewardship plan. We focus on how to organize and lead an effective year-around practice of storytelling (or testimonials) related to generosity. National research clearly shows teaching about stewardship at least once a month correlates to increases in congregational giving. View video
– Handout for the webinar
– Sample Conflicts-of-Interest Policy Statement
– Photos of the “generosity cards” made by children in a church to be placed in the offering plate during worship
– National Study on Congregations’ Economic Practices
Sign up for our newsletter!
Find us on