Communities of Practice
Communities of Practice Peer Learning Groups for Clergy
For Communities of Practice groups for Christian Educators and Faith Formation people, please see the sub-menu in the box to the right
Read the August 2013 issue of The Parish Paper: The Power of Clergy Groups
Communities of Practice: What have we learned? By Rev. Joanne Thomson
The Communities of Practice program was launched to great success in 2012-13. Pastors all over the state found wisdom and support from colleagues gathered into community.You will find additional details in the FAQs.
This safe and supportive peer group is just about the best thing I’ve ever done in 18 years of ministry. I have a place now to take issues and frustrations and experiences that I can’t share with anyone else. It will keep me healthy and make me a better pastor. -Participant
Communities of Practice groups will:
- Be facilitated by a seasoned pastor or experienced therapist
- Meet monthly for a 2 1/2 hour session, September through May
- Include eight to ten participants
- Focus on the practice of ministry and the pastor’s vocation as leader
- Encourage peer support, care, and reflection
FAQs about Communities of Practice
The Conference’s program is organized by Associate Conference Minister Joanne Thomson. Cathy Wille, a trained therapist and active, experienced church leader, provides program support for the facilitators and the groups.
Important Things to Know:
- The deadline for signing up for a group is typically during the first week of September each year
- Fee for participants is $250
- Scholarship funds may be available; please fill out a scholarship application
- Let us know that you want to participate by registering online or mailing in the printable registration form (links available starting each summer)
Special Notes for Existing Groups:
If you are part of an existing group that has been meeting with a facilitator during the past year…
- Members of existing groups should register online or fill out and return a paper registration form. Pastors need to re-register each year.
For more information, or if you have questions, please contact Joanne Thomson at 608-846-7880.