“Sacred Conversations” Workshop with Rev. Dr. Velda Love
September 22, 3 pm – 5 pm
Plymouth UCC in Milwaukee, 2717 E Hampshire Ave, Milwaukee
The Rev. Dr. Velda Love, UCC Minister for Racial Justice, will hold an afternoon workshop titled “For God So Loved the World . . .” at Plymouth UCC in Milwaukee on September 22. This engaging and interactive workshop is an opportunity to join together with people of faith in “sacred conversations to end racism.”
Sacred conversations allows the Spirit of God to journey with people of faith as they listen to one another’s experiences about the ways racism has impacted and harmed humanity in general, but communities of color in particular. Sacred conversations involve making a prayerful decision to become advocates and restorative justice practitioners in order to reclaim the Christian Church and society through God’s love.
Workshop participants will:
- Explore practical ways to have “sacred conversation to end racism”
- Engage with biblical texts regarding equitable treatment of all God’s people
- Learn about the mythological construction of race and the reality of racism in America
- Participate in role play, active listening and response techniques, and learn how to invite others to be on the journey to engage with and end racism
- Develop strategies to move from conversations to advocacy and activism
The event is being hosted by Plymouth UCC and the Wisconsin Conference UCC Racial Justice Task Force. Cost is $10.