Division on Social Concerns works with congregations and individuals in supporting the social concerns efforts of congregations in ways that reach beyond the capacity of any one congregation and to identify regional areas of social concern for our congregations to consider. The Division is chaired by Rev. Lois Rosko. The division chair and membership are listed at the bottom of this page with email addresses.
SEEKING A GRANT?
The Division on Social Concerns encourages any church in the Southwest Association to submit requests for help in funding social concern projects. Projects can be in your home community, the state, the nation, or the world. Small grant requests of $500 and under for locally-funded projects are welcome. We generally recommend a ceiling of $1,000 for requests. Traditionally, churches are expected to do some fund raising for their projects. The grants from Social Concerns typically make up only a part of project funding. A church can receive no more than one grant per year. Recurring grants from the same type of project in successive years may receive less consideration depending on the number of requests received. The committee would like to see its funds for the year equally divided between small ($500 or less) and large (up to $1,000) grants. There are many grants worthy of funding, however given our limited resources, the mission of Social Concerns is to fund social justice projects and not brick and mortar building projects.
Your grant requests must be received by the first week of the month before the month they are needed so that the Division on Social Concerns has time to meet and act on your requests. Your requests should be sent on church letterhead.
The Division on Social Concerns will consider direct grants from organizations that have a relationship with the United Church of Christ such as The Crossing Campus Ministry or The Wisconsin Council of Churches. Other faith-related community organizations that want to request a grant must have their request sponsored by a congregation of the Southwest Association. The Division on Social Concerns may from time to time choose to join and support such a group without having a specific grant request from them.
Please use this form, when submitting a grant request for consideration.
Please submit your requests via email to Susan Taylor, Administrative Assistant at the Wisconsin Conference.
Grants for 2018
- Community of Hope UCC, Madison – $1,000 for Backyard Mosaic Women’s Project, for fiber piece employing spiritual care for their house, which provides meeting and art making spaces for women affected by the issues of the sex industry.
- Plymouth UCC, Madison as a supporting church of Dane Sanctuary Coalition – $1,000 to support JRUUC in remodeling their building to host undocumented immigrants seeking sanctuary.
- MOSES – $600 for annual dues
- Orchard Ridge UCC, Madison – $500.00 for youth mission trip to Greensboro Urban Ministry; Tiny Houses; and Peace Haven Farm.
- Plymouth Congregational UCC, Dodgeville – $1,000 for a community arts based after school program (continuing one discontinued by school district).
- Congregational UCC, Mineral Point – $500 for mission trip to repair & rebuild hurricane-damaged homes in Beaumont, TX. Members from Belleville, Dodgeville and Mount Vernon will be part of the team.
- 1st Congregational UCC, Fort Atkinson – $1,000 for public and keynote speaker and workshop on school safety/emotional learning.
Total as of June 20 2018 – $5,600
Grants for 2017
- Interfaith Coalition for Worker Justice of South Central WI – $900.
- 1st Congregational UCC, Platteville – $1,000 for Family Promise of Grant County.
- Lake Edge, UCC, Madison – $950 for their Schenk School Weekend Nutrition Program.
- 1st Congregational UCC, Madison -$3,000 for Prison Ministry.
- St. John UCC, Monroe – $1,000 for Rosebud Reservation, South Dakota Youth Trip
- McFarland UCC, McFarland – $500 for Dinner Challenge
- First Congregational UCC, Platteville – $1,000 for Family Promise of Grant County
- First Congregational UCC, Madison – $500 for Madison High School Students Kenya Trip
- MOSES – $650 Annual Membership dues
- Community of Hope UCC, Madison – $2,000 for the Madison Area Jail Ministry
- Plymouth Congregational, Dodgeville – $1,000 for Wednesday After School Arts Program for low income families
- Mineral Point Congregational UCC – $500 for Mission Trip to Oklahoma City, OK
- Orchard Ridge UCC, Madison – $1,000 Annual Youth Mission Trip to Santa Fe, New Mexico
Total as of December 30 , 2017 – $14,000
Grants for 2016
- Middleton Community Church UCC – $1,000
- Memorial UCC, Fitchburg – $900 for Good Neighbors Personal Essentials Pantry
- Lake Edge UCC, Madison – $1,000 For Frank Allis Nutrition Program
- First Congregational UCC, Janesville – $1,000 for Radical Hospitality Project
- Memorial UCC, Fitchburg -$1,000 for Dignity at Work Coalition
- Mineral Point Congregational UCC – $750 for mission trip to Wise, VA
- Mineral Point Congregational UCC – $600 for Urban Immersion Retreat in Minneapolis, MN
- Orchard Ridge UCC, Madison – $1,000 for mission trip to Birmingham AL
- German/Honduran Partnership of Wisconsin Conference for Trialogue Theological Colloquy – $1,000
- MOSES- $650 annual membership dues
- Whitewater Congregational UCC -$600 for youth to go to UCC National Youth Event
- Edgerton Congregational UCC – $500 for making bathroom handicapped accessible
- 1st Congregational UCC l, Madison -Prison Ministry Project – $3,000
- Interfaith Coalition for Worker Justice – $1,000
Total as of December 30 – $14,000
Grants for 2015
- Mineral Point Congregational UCC for mission trip to Moore, OK – $500
- First Congregational UCC, Madison for national UCC Kreyer Scholarship Fund (to help students with disabilities with their seminary expenses) – $500
- MOSES (Madison Organizing in Strength, Equality and Solidarity) for annual membership dues – $600
- Orchard Ridge UCC Madison, for youth group mission/work trip to Roanoke,VA -$1,000
- John’s UCC Monroe, for mission/work trip to New Orleans, LA -$800
- 1st Cong. UCC, Madison, for low income student to travel on high school trip to laikipia, Kenya – $500
- Plymouth UCC, Madison, for their Personal Essentials Pantry Atwood – $1,000
- 1st Congregational UCC, Madison, for their Prison Ministry Project – $3,000
- Trinity UCC, Endeavor, for their monthly community meal program – $500
- Olivet UCC, Columbus – $1,000 to establish an area computer bank ministry
- Fairhaven Senior Services- $2,000 toward the cost of a accessible van and bus
- 1st Congregational UCC, Platteville – $2,000 for Family Promise of Grand County (addressing homelessness)
Total as of December 16 $13,400
Grants in 2014
- Mineral Point Congregational UCC for mission trip to Moore, OK – $750
- Orchard Ridge UCC, Madison to pay a chef for a local employment outreach mission – $500
- MOSES(Madison Organizing in Strength, Equality and Solidarity) for annual membership dues – $400
- Orchard Ridge UCC, Madison for mission trip to Orlando, ME – $1,000
- Congregational UCC, Whitewater to buy a computer for the local chapter of NAMI -$500
- Plymouth Congregational UCC, Madison for SW Association’s Young Ambassadors’ Youth Exchange Share Our Soles mission trip to Chicago – $500
- Olivet Congregational UCC, Columbus for supplies for Columbus Transitional School – $500
- Kristin Gorton, Director of Faith Formation at Lake Edge UCC, Madison to attend economic justice training event at UCC House, Cleveland – $200
- Interfaith Coalition for Worker Justice of South Central WI to support it’s work for a living wage – $1,000
- First Congregational UCC, Madison to build a model of solitary confinement cell – $1,000
- Community of Hope UCC, Madison – for Women’s Backyard Mosaic Project to buy weaving supplies for inmates of the Dane County Jail – $500
- Madison Ecumenical Center for directory of human services – $300
- Plymouth Congregational UCC, Dodgeville for their Multicultural Outreach Program – $1,350
- Memorial UCC, Fitchburg to help WI Faith Voices for Justice offer advocacy workshops to SW Association Churches – $500
Total for 2014 – $9,000
GRANTS IN 2013
- Interfaith Coalition for Justice – $500
- Verona Area Needs Network – $500
- Mineral Point Congregational UCC for Feb. 17-24 mission trip to Henryville, Indiana – $500
- MOSES – $200
- The Crossing LGBT Program – $1,000
- Immanuel UCC in Darlington for Back Bay Trip – $1,000
- Orchard Ridge UCC Mission Trip to Santa Fe – $500
- Salem UCC Verona summer youth trips – $1,000
- Middleton UCC mission trip to Jamaica – $1,000
- Memorial UCC , Fitchburg for Good Neighbor Pantry -$500
- Madison Ecumenical Center for directory of human services – $300
- Trinity UCC, Endeavor for shared supper – $500
- Zwingli UCC, Mount Vernon for medical mission to Honduras – $1,000
- First Congregational UCC, Mineral Point for holiday food basket program – $500
- First Congregational UCC, Madison for Prison Ministry – $1,000
- Community of Hope UCC for WI Coalition for Reproductive Rights -$200
- Memorial UCC, Fitchburg for Tiny House project of Madison Urban Ministry – $800
Total for 2013 – $11,000
Members of the Division of Social Concerns
Term End 209
Terms ends 2020
Term end 2018
Kennedy Carolyn, – Chair
Term ends 2020
Rosko, Rev. Lois- Secretary
Term ends 2019
Term end 2019 (2nd term)